IOS for Zimbra
From Provider Wiki
Zimbra's collaboration suite can be accessed from the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad in two ways: Via ActiveSync, which will pull in calendar, contacts, and email, or via the web interface, which allows access to all of the above in addition to account preferences, tasks, and full search capabilities. In general, ActiveSync is best for user who want to keep tabs on their email and do general calendaring on the go, while the web interface is useful for some more advanced management features.
Connecting iOS to Zimbra via ActiveSync
Before connecting an iOS device via ActiveSync, MobileSync must be enabled by the user's LSP through the Update function of the Zimbra Account Management utility. In order for access to be granted, the user will be requested to "sign" the PDA Terms of Service. After that has been accomplished, the following steps can be performed to begin syncing data to the iOS device.
- Select Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Under Accounts, select Add Account..., then select Microsoft Exchange
- Under the Email field, enter the address in the firstname.lastname@example.org format.
- Leaving the domain field blank, enter the username in the Username field, followed by the user's password in the next field
- Select Next
- The device will attempt to Verify account information, and when it fails, it will allow an address to be input into the Server field. Enter mailbox.zimbra.upenn.edu
- Select Next. The device will verify the account information, which usually only takes a few seconds
- The next screen will allow the user to select which data they would like synchronized: Mail, Contacts, and/or Calendars. Contacts is disabled by default.
- Select Done. The phone will configure sync for Exchange, and when it finishes, the phone will be configured to sync data back and forth to the Zimbra server.
The device should also have a Passcode Lock applied, now that it is accessing potentially sensitive University data, in the form of contacts, email interactions, etc. If a Passcode Lock is not already applied, one can be enabled by opening Settings, General, Passcode Lock. The Require Passcode option should be set to no more than 1 hour, and the Erase Data option should be set to On.
Please note that the default timezone used by mail, contacts, and calendars can differ from the timezone used by the iOS devices for other applications. This can be configured by selecting Settings, then Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and scrolling down to Time Zone Support, and comparing it to Settings, General, Date & Time, Time Zone.
Web Access Instructions
- Visit http://zimbra.upenn.edu from Safari mobile
- Log in with your PennKey and Password
- At the next screen, choose Standard (HTML) from the type dropdown menu and click Login
You should now see the Zimbra web interface optimized for an iOS device.