What does AirPennNet-Help/XpressConnect do?
From Provider Wiki
XpressConnect and AirPennNet-Help together form a GUI-based utility for configuring devices to connect to AirPennNet.
- Upon completion, the following SSIDs are removed from the preferred networks list: Wireless-PennNet;AirPennNet-Guest;AirSAS;AirSEAS;AirPennNet-Help.
- Adds and trusts the root CAs for all of Penn's radius servers.
- Warns if the device's clock is incorrect (may create problems verifying the certificate).
- Redirects all http traffic to http://airpennnet-help.net.isc.upenn.edu while connected to AirPennNet-Help.
- Prompts the user to install the XpressConnect utility from the Android Marketplace (requires the user to disconnect from AirPennNet-Help, connect to an alternate WiFi or cellular network, download the utility, and then reconnect to AirPennNet-Help) or from the AirPennNet-Help server (the user may need to allow installing applications from unknown sources on the device).
- Configures the network and authentication settings for AirPennNet
- Installs the correct .mobileconfig for AirPennNet.
All Mac OS
- Prompts the user to enable the Firewall if it is disabled.
- Checks for presence of Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- If SEP is not detected, user is routed to PennKey-protected SEP download page with additional downloads and personalized support information.
- If SEP is detected, user is routed to page with additional downloads and personalized support information
Mac OS 10.4
- Prompts the user to run Software Update if OS is not 10.4.11 (or later).
- Configures Internet Connect for AirPennNet.
Mac OS 10.5
- Prompts the user to run Software Update if OS is not 10.5.8 (or later).
Mac OS 10.6
- Prompts the user to run Software Update if OS is not 10.6.5 (or later).
Mac OS 10.7-10.8
- Attempts to run through Java. If Java is not enabled, user will be presented with a page to download an XpressConnect installer with a built-in Java runtime.
- Turns on Automatic Updates if they are off.
- For Students only, connects the computer to the Penn Windows Automatic Update Service.
- Checks for and warns if Antivirus software is not installed (or is not reporting to the Windows Security Center).
- Installs SecureW2 Enterprise Client 3.5.8 if needed.
- Prompts the user if the Windows Firewall is disabled.
- Turns off Internet Connection Sharing if enabled.
- Prompts users to disable conflicting wireless utilities.
- If antivirus is not detected, user is routed to PennKey-protected SEP download page with additional downloads and personalized support information.
- If antivirus is detected, user is routed to page with additional downloads and personalized support information
- Installs the WPA2 Hotfix if needed.
Windows Vista and 7
- Ensures WLAN service is running.
- Activates Network Manager and ensures that Network Manager is managing the wireless interface.